February 20, 2015

Getting There

Wow.

I'm pretty much speechless.  Which, if you know me, is a strange, strange thing.  I want to write something beautiful, clever and emotive.  Something to make strong men weep and crying babes start to grin and giggle.

What I've got to offer is just this -- the last 26 hours have been some of the best and most remarkable hours that I've spent in my life.  The news about our sponsorship program went out at six yesterday evening.  By eight that evening we had over 60 people signed up.  One of them was calling from New Zealand.  Another had been married at the store.  At one point last night, Borderlands was one of the top five trending topics on Twitter.

When I woke up this morning, my email was filled with notes from people saying things like, "I'll call as soon as you open", "Mailed the check this morning" and "I knew you'd come up with something".

I knew that people liked the store and even loved it.  But I never, in my wildest dreams, would have imagined that so many people liked it so much.

So, from me, Jude, and all the rest of the staff, thank you from the bottom of our hearts.  Your comments and actions over the past three weeks have truly made us feel like we've done something good and worthwhile here.

As I write this, we have already signed up over 230 sponsors.

I think we're going do this thing.  And it's all because of you.

Thank you,
Alan, Jude, Jeremy, Cary, Naamen and Scott.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats! I sent a check. I use an online bank so I couldn't include my phone number and email address. I mostly only read digitally/ebooks but my friends read paper books and I don't want them to lose a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear lwaldal,

      Thank you very much for the support and please do drop us a line at the main email address with your contact information. You can find the office email at our web site - http://www.borderlands-books.com. We'd hate to have any trouble contacting you.

      Thanks,
      Alan

      Delete
  2. And there are checks in the mail! Just wait until you get the mail Monday and Tuesday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to subscribe as an out-of-towner? I want to support independent bookstores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marielle,

      You're very welcome to be a sponsor, regardless of where you live. The current winner for the farthest-from-the-store prize lives in The Netherlands.

      Best,
      Alan

      Delete
  4. Happy to see that things are going to work out!

    ReplyDelete